Dental fillings are one of the most common treatments. Nowadays they are considered as routine process with which we can improve the health and the aesthetic appearance of our teeth. At our clinic, we differentiate between two types of fillings which are used on a daily basis by our expert dentists. If you want to have this dental treatment, you can get many advantages and can avoid many dental problems, inconveniences in the long-run. Therefore, it is worth getting in touch with us to book an appointment to see our dentists if you need a filling.
When do you need dental fillings?
Generally there is a need for a filling if there is a gap or cavity on the surface of a tooth.
It is recommended to get in touch with the dentist if:
- your teeth are sensitive or often painful
- your breath is bad
- you have caries, cavities
- the surface of your teeth is fragmented
In case you experienced any of the above, please contact us as soon as possible so as our experts could fix your problem and prevent further expansion of the caries.
Types of fillings
This type of filling is quick, simple and its colour matches the teeth perfectly. During the preparation our dentists put effort in creating the enamel grooves, as well. This means that the upper surface of the tooth will look realistic and be functionally proper e.g. chewing.
If the missing part of the tooth cannot be fixed by using dental fillings as the existing amount of the dentine is not sufficient or the cavity is a danger to the neighbouring tooth, then inlays/onlays are recommended. If you want to get to know more about this dental treatment, click here.
Dentists at our clinic usually make dental fillings using composite material. This is made of several components in order to match the original tooth colour of the patient. Therefore, this is not a simple white filling, but a mixture of different colour filling material.
We do not use amalgam fillings and our dentists suggest to have these types of old fillings removed and replaced with composite ones.
Advantages of aesthetic, composite fillings
- can be loaded immediately
- its colour matches any tooth shade
- its surface is abrasion-resistant
- changes colour with teeth
- fits together with the tooth material perfectly
- its lifetime is multiple of regular fillings’
Process of making dental fillings
Making dental fillings is a simple and quick procedure, however depending on the quantity and quality of the filling material the duration of the treatment varies. It usually takes 30-60 minutes but differs in each case. The build-up of the enamel grooves determines the time needed. Our dentists put great effort in this in order to achieve the perfect results.
This dental procedure is done using local anaesthetics so as the patient will not feel any pain. After the treatment, numbness is normal for a couple of hours because of the local anaesthetic injection.
What to expect after treatment?
- The filling can be discoloured with your own teeth by the consumption of tea, coffee and food colours. Later on, the shade will not be different from the tooth shade.
- There can be some sensitivity if the filling is too high as it overloads the own teeth. If you notice this, please contact your dentist who can take away the unnecessary parts of the filling.
- In some cases the tooth can be sensitive to hot and cold for 1-2 weeks until your body gets used to the foreign material. If the pain does not disappear, please contact your dentist!
Book an appointment now to have healthy and nice teeth again: